Dr. Charles Stanley, pastor of a large church in Atlanta, Ga., has suggested ten ways to pray for leaders who occupy the highest offices in the land.
1. Pray that they would realize their daily need for cleansing of their sin by Jesus Christ.
2. Pray that they would recognize their personal inadequacy to fulfill their tasks and that they would depend upon God for knowledge, wisdom, and the courage to do what is right.
3. Pray that they would reject all counsel that violates spiritual principles, trusting God to prove them right.
4. Pray that they would resist those who would pressure them to violate their conscience.
5. Pray that they would reverse the trends of socialism and humanism in this nation, both of which deify man rather than God.
6. Pray that they would be ready to sacrifice their personal ambitions and political careers for the sake of this nation, if yielding them would be in the best interest of their country.
7. Pray that they would rely upon prayer and the Word of God as the source of their daily strength, wisdom and courage.
8. Pray they would restore dignity, honor, trustworthiness, and righteousness to the office they hold.
9. Pray that they would remember to be good examples in their conduct to the fathers, mothers, sons, and daughters of this nation.
10. Pray that they would be reminded daily that they are accountable to Almighty God for the decisions they make.