, January, 1994, pp. 12-13
The end result of all of this is sadly illustrated in the book, Reforming Fundamentalism, by George A. Marsden, which informs that 85% of the students in one of America's largest evangelical seminaries stated that they do not believe in the inerrancy of Scripture. Beyond that, a poll of 10,000 U. S. A. clergymen (of whom 74% replied) by sociologist Jeffrey Hadden in 1987 clearly reveals the effects of this significant change of belief through the passage of time. When asked if they believed that the Scriptures are the inspired and inerrant Word of God in faith, history, and secular matters:
- 95% of Episcopalians said "No."
- 87% of Methodists said "No."
- 82% of Presbyterians said "No."
- 77% of American Lutherans said "No."
- 67% of American Baptists said "No."
This sad commentary speaks for itself.