Charles Swindoll, Kindred Spirit, Vol. 22, No. 3, Autumn, 1998, p. 3.
1. The memo from the testing director of MGM, shortly after Fred Astaire's first screen test, read: "Can't act! Slightly bald! Can dance a little!"
2. An older "expert" once said of another younger coach, "He possesses minimal football knowledge. Lacks motivation." In case you're wondering, he was referring to Vince Lombardi.
3. The parents of Enrico Caruso believed his teacher, who said he had "no voice at all&md;he just cannot sing." They urged him to be an engineer.
4. Walt Disney was fired by a newspaper editor for "lack of ideas."
5. Thomas Edison's teachers gave up on him. "He's too stupid to do anything," was their evaluation.
6. Before he succeeded, Henry Ford failed and went broke five times.