Ann Landers, Spokesman Review
Dear Ann Landers: You have printed many letters about extramarital affairs. Here are some things your readers should be aware of:
- About half the men and a third of the women who are cheating say they are perfectly content and there is nothing wrong with their marriages.
- Being religious does not prevent infidelity.
- Women are as willing as men to have an affair.
- Fewer than 10 percent of those having an affair will divorce their spouses to marry their lovers. A large percentage of those who do often have another divorce.
- People who have affairs are more likely to be divorced, distressed and disappointed.
- The chemistry that drives an affair lasts anywhere from a few weeks to three years before it cools down.